PDA

View Full Version : Camp Blog: Captain's Corner

undertaker
08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Camp Blog: Captain's Corner - Adam Weber

In the mid to late 1970's, a young Bobby Weber employed his smarts as a defensive back for the Golden Gophers to get the best of opposing quarterbacks. Weber's smarts translated off the field and into classrooms at the University as he was honored on the Big Ten All-Academic Team in 1976 and again in 1977. More than three decades later, Bobby's son Adam suits up for his final year as a Golden Gopher, playing the position that his father so aptly tormented. The apple did not fall far from the tree; rather it may still be attached as senior quarterback Adam has earned the same Big Ten All-Academic honors as his father in each of the last three years.

"My Dad and my Mom always told me that if you are going to be good on the field, you have to be good off the field," Adam said after practice Monday. "If you're going to be good at something, you have to be good at everything and you have to give it your best. When it comes to academics, I take it as another challenge and as another competition. So I go out there and do it to the best of my ability."

Weber's pride in academics is not lost on his teammates.

"A lot of my fellow Gophers share those honors," he said. "That shows our team is not only committed on the field, but also off the field to doing great things."

Coming into his final season as a Golden Gopher, Adam is the only player in the program's rich history to be a three-time captain as selected by his teammates. As a four-year starter, his unique amount of playing time starting under center has allowed him to break numerous single-season and career records. But his demonstrated intelligence is laced with the humility to know that individual records do not hold a flame to the team's overall record at the end of the season.

"Those records are nice and something to talk around the water-cooler about, but it comes down to winning and losing," Weber said. "Freshman year was tough, because we went 1 - 11, but I learned a lot from that. I made a lot of mistakes and also put up some good numbers. But our record was not anywhere near where we wanted it to be."

Weber's four years of exposure starting under center has engraved a rich learning curve signifying his adaptation skills.

"In my first two years, we were spreading the ball around a little bit more because we threw the ball a lot," Weber said. "The records came, but as we changed to more of a pro-style offense I have tried to develop into more of a pro-style quarterback and I'm excited for this season."

Weber's self-awareness is evident and he understands that he is not the same player he was when he was a freshman breaking a number of single-season passing records. This confident fifth-year senior believes he is better than his old record-breaking self.

"I feel that I am more comfortable with the system and what we are trying to accomplish and I'm looking forward to having my best season yet," he said.

Weber's wealth of opportunities has allowed him to grow not only as a football player, but also as a leader. His selfless and dedicated approach to the game has undoubtedly influenced his younger teammates as they focus in on the greatest of goals.

"I'm trying to push this team to reach our goals and those are to win the Big Ten championship and to go to the Rose Bowl," he said. "We are trying to lay the foundation for that."

Adam's own foundation for success and hard -- work both on and off the field -- were already being cemented when a young Bobby Weber excelled, both on the gridiron and in the classroom, in the 1970s. Gopher fans abound can anticipate more solid leadership and humility this season from the program's only three-time captain looking to leave the program in better shape than he found it.
-Athletic Communications Intern Andrew Sullivan