PDA

View Full Version : Blog: Brewster Pleased With Summer Preparations

winner1st
08-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster opened his appearance at the 2010 Big Ten Kickoff Monday with a trip to the dais in front of a packed ballroom full of reporters from all over the country.

Entering his fourth year at the helm, Brewster spoke at great length about the Gophers' summer preparations and is convinced that the team will enter fall camp later this week in the best shape of his tenure.

"It's been a great summer and I feel really good (about where the team is at)," Brewster said. "What's important to me, what's important to our staff, is what our team is doing on a daily basis to improve. I met with Mark Hill, our strength coach, before I left. Mark said that our football team's had a great summer."

Senior quarterback Adam Weber echoed Brewster's comments during several of the following media sessions, admitting that the team has worked harder this summer than he can remember, rising early for conditioning and weight-room work before holding intense, self-directed captain's practices.

Brewster added that he was especially pleased with the results the players have gotten for their efforts.

"We're bigger, we're stronger, we're faster, and we're more athletic than we've been," he said. "And rightfully so. We need to be. We know that we're going to play one of the most challenging schedules in America this season. And our players are going to have to be prepared.

Brewster also discussed Weber and revealed some of the discussions the two have had this summer.

"Adam Weber is a young man who I feel like is probably the most experienced quarterback in the country," said Brewster. "He's basically taken every snap for us the past three years. I think Adam is poised to have a great season.

"He's in great physical condition," Brewster added in regard to Weber. "Last year, he had surgery prior to the season. And I don't think he was as effective as he would have liked to have been. And I think in large part a lot of it had to do with his physical condition. But he's in great physical shape. He's our captain. He's our leader.

"He's had a great summer. He reported to me that our football team has made a great commitment this summer to improve, to get better. The captain's practices were excellent."
-Director of Athletic Communications Garry Bowman