PDA

View Full Version : Gopher Profile: Incoming Freshman Bethany Brausen

JetsMatt92
07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Periodically throughout the summer, gophersports.com will get to know incoming freshmen. This week's edition is forward Bethany Brausen. Signing during the early National Signing Period, Brausen had a standout senior season. Hailing from Roseville, Minn., Brausen led the Raiders to a state championship, and in the same week, was named the top senior girls hockey player in the state. Brausen is one of seven freshmen and one of two from the state of Minnesota. Below is her bio as well as a short question and answer session.

The Brausen File: Member of the Roseville Area High School under coach Vic Brodt • Recipient of the 2010 Ms. Hockey after a stellar senior season • Captained the Raiders to a state championship and named to the all-tournament team • Named the Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year and the Associated Press Player of the Year • Was also the recipient of the Lions Club Athlete of the Year • Led Roseville in scoring with 35 goals and 35 assists for 70 points as a senior • Had 19 multiple-point games and 10 multiple-goal games in her final season • Finished her high school career with 216 career points • a four-time all-conference and a two-time all-state honoree • As a junior, named the Pioneer Press Girls Hockey Player of the Year and a first-team all-metro selection • Also the team captain her junior year and led Roseville to the section finals and its fourth conference championship • Named the team’s most valuable player in 2009 after she recorded 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points • All-state honorable mention as a sophomore when she helped the Raiders to a 21-4-2 and was an all-conference selection • Tallied 14 goals and 19 assists for 33 points and in her sophomore campaign • Was a member of the East Metro Team in the Elite League for the second-straight season • Also a standout softball player and was named the team captain for the 2009-10 season • Also earned three letters for academics.

Personal: Daughter of Pamela and David Brausen • Born May 16, 1992 • Graduated from Roseville Area with a 3.85 grade point average • Shoots left • Undecided on a major.

Gophersports.com: What have you been up to since you were named Ms. Hockey and what are you doing throughout the summer?
Bethany Brausen: Following the season ending in a humbling set of accomplishments such as the Ms. Hockey award and state championship, I eased myself into my next sport of fastpitch softball, where I served as a captain and helped lead the team to a section run getting to the finals. I was then selected to participate in an all star weekend for seniors in fastpitch. Through the summer I have been working with former Ms. Hockey and Gopher, Winny Brodt, at OS hockey training working with young hockey players and sharing my knowledge of the game. I have also been doing college skates where a great number of amazing players come to skate in the same sheet of ice. I’m keeping up with the work outs and getting on the ice as much as I can.

GS: You’re the fourth player from Roseville to win the Ms. Hockey award and commit to the University of Minnesota (Winny Brodt, Ronda Curtin and Renee Curtin were the previous recipients). Did that factor in at all when deciding on a school?
BB: Not necessarily, I understand fully that choosing a college should be a personal decision based on what you need. On the contrary, although all of those past winners were great players, students, and people, so attending college a great college filled with great hockey, academics, and people was not a complete coincidence. Playing hockey at the U was a dream I shared with so many aspiring players, and I was extremely lucky to be presented with the opportunity to play there, and to follow in those past recipients’ footsteps was nothing short of an honor.

GS: There’s always an adjustment period coming from high school to college. What would you say are realistic goals coming into your freshman year?
BB: Hockey is my passion and I am hoping to be able to see ice time due to hard work and dedication to the sport in the past and present. I hope to get the opportunity to play with many of the girls and learn the game of hockey more. Educationally, I hope to get a good jump on learning the ropes and do equally as well in the classroom as outside of it. Lastly I hope to meet many new people that bring a lot to my life, which seems very obtainable with such a large school and students that are eager to succeed, like myself.

GS: When you’re done with your Gopher hockey career, what would you like to have accomplished, both individually and as a team
BB: I hope that after I finish my career as a Gopher I first and foremost will look back on the experience as a positive and highlighted time of my life. Individually, I hope to leave the program known as a great player that impacted the collegiate level in my playing. I don’t know if I will break records or be a stand out player, but I hope to leave a mark as a passionate and influential person and player. As a team, I hope to be a part of a national championship team, whether or not that is in the cards. I look forward to meeting so many great student-athletes that have the potential to accomplish that. As a team, I hope to continue the great reputation of University of Minnesota hockey and hope to contribute to that legacy.

GS: Any idea of what you’d like to major in while at Minnesota?
BB: I originally was leaning towards something in the medical field, but as college nears, my desire to do something with my creative and literate side is tugging at me more. I’m thinking to go into college with intent to do something in journalism or communications right now, but as all other college students would tell you, that is very subject to change.

GS: What are you most looking forward to when you get to the University of Minnesota?
BB: Everything! Not trying to sound cliché or anything, but the whole new experience is something I am anticipating greatly. The great chance to meet new people with a successful future in mind, participating on one of the world’s most prestigious college hockey teams, and learning life skills and educational information that will secure my future are all things I am very excited for.